Are you passionate about renewable energy and energy conservation?
Join the Ottawa Renewable Energy Co-op (OREC) as we expand into net metered solar and energy efficiency technologies.
Net Metered Solar
Approach businesses and institutions with large roofs to market net metered solar projects. The selected candidate will model current electricity consumption in a building against the expected production of a future solar project. Modeling will be done in System Advisor Model. Knowledge of solar equipment will be necessary as well as experience with electricity bill rate structures for commercial customers.
The selected candidate will perform on-site energy audits, similar to an ASHRAE level 1 audit, of housing co-operatives in Ottawa as well as prepare and present the audit reports to the landlords. Following the audits, the candidate will market the program to finance a comprehensive energy efficiency retrofit of the building. A commission will be paid out for each new project contract.
The internship is expected to be completed in 9 months, starting in July, 2017. Extension beyond this initial term is anticipated.
Work hours are typically between 9am to 5pm although shifting some work outside of normal hours is expected. The position is for 40 hours per week. The annual salary will be $35,000 plus a 1.5% of the capital cost of any efficiency project contract signed. Two weeks of paid vacation are available following a three month probation period.
The employer will provide mentorship, work station, necessary software, space measurement tools, and other equipment necessary for the energy audits. Travel and accommodations will be eligible for reimbursement.
- Meet qualifications
- Reliable, punctual, highly motivated
- French an asset
- Access to transportation to perform site visits an asset
- Interest and availability to complete the work and continue after the project is complete
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in mechanical engineering
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in electrical engineering
- Degree in building systems technology
- Energy Systems Engineering Technologist
- Valid driver’s license
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of Google Sketch Up or other modeling software
- General knowledge of solar PV technology
- Knowledge of electrical engineering concepts relevant to solar and energy conservation
- Experience with System Advisor Model
- Experience with HVAC systems
- Expertise in energy audits of multi unit residential buildings and ASHRAE Level 1 energy audits
- Experience in sales and marketing
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Net metered solar:
- Become familiar with the Power Purchase Agreement contract and net metering rules.
- Arrange and attend meetings with potential net metering clients.
- Create initial layout of solar installations on client buildings using 3D modeling software.
- Perform production analysis using System Advisor Model and 12 months of client consumption data.
- Explain and negotiate power purchase agreement contracts with clients.
Energy efficiency audits:
- Identify eligible buildings and contact them to determine interest.
- Perform walk through energy audits to screen for eligibility.
- Sell the energy retrofit program and energy service contract to the building governance committee.
- Liaise with the engineering company and building manager and residents during the retrofit.
- Manage the account and relationships throughout the agreement term.
- Raise capital for the project by selling investments in the retrofit program to residents of the building.
- Assess whether individual/community investments effects uptake of retrofit program.
Qualified interns must be:
- Recent graduates from a post-secondary science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) program
- 30 years of age or under
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents or persons granted refugee status in Canada