Five Multi Unit Residential Buildings Receive Subsidized Audits
BEES is an ongoing pilot program created to catalyze deep energy retrofits starting with five non-profit residential towers. It has provided free energy audits and consultation with third party energy experts for the first five thanks to funding from the City of Ottawa’s Energy Catalyst Grant. Eligible residential complexes are welcome to apply at any time for upcoming low-cost energy audits and consultation regarding retrofit financing.
Innovative financing is available to the buildings which implement any proposed retrofits we’ve recommended. The financing available models the successful program by Efficiency Capital.
What are the benefits?
- Level one ASHRAE audit
- Site assessment report
- Unique community-based financing
Additions in the pilot program:
- Two-year membership with Carbon 613
- Energy education for residents and key stakeholders
- Building energy upgrade planning session
What are the ideal buildings?
- Residential towers with six or more storeys and approximately 80 units
- Constructed over 10 years ago without having substantial equipment upgrades
- Bulk metered suites with common areas available for residents’ use
Who are the first five?
Why is energy conservation important?
In research commissioned by the Canada Green Building Council, it was found that buildings over 25,000 ft2 and high-rise residential buildings five storeys or greater can reduce GHGs up to 44%, equivalent to a 19.4 million tonne reduction and $6.2 billion in energy savings. 80% of existing buildings require modernization; that is why the Ottawa Renewable Energy Co-operative is diversifying its portfolio.
The Building Energy Enhancement Service acknowledges the financial support from the City of Ottawa’s Energy Evolution Catalyst Projects Program for this year’s Legacy Project.