OREC’s Vision and Goals
In a thriving integrated co-op economy, OREC is a significant leader in providing Eastern Ontario with clean, community financed energy that has transformed the region to 100 per cent renewable energy.
The Co-op’s goals are:
- Generate decentralized renewable energy in Eastern Ontario. By 2020, own a full range of renewable energy generating sources across Eastern Ontario.
- Create a democratic, self-reliant, environmentally, socially and financially sustainable co-operative business model for community power in Eastern Ontario. By 2020, increase membership to 5,000 from all parts of Eastern Ontario.
- Provide a fair return to residents of Eastern Ontario who wish to invest in local renewable energy production and energy efficiency. Pay the best possible dividend yearly on co-operative member equity investments.
- Increase the accessibility of investments options and awareness of renewable energy technologies in Eastern Ontario. Be a strong voice in Eastern Ontario for renewable energy through education, workshops, social media, and advocacy.
- Advocate for hospitable policy climates that facilitate community owned and financed renewable energy and other forms of sustainable technology in Eastern Ontario.
- Partner with other organizations, companies, and government agencies to achieve our vision. Work with the City of Ottawa on a 100 per cent renewable city strategy. As part of the Ottawa Co-op Network, help build and finance a thriving co-operative social economy in Eastern Ontario and a social finance support and funding portal.